Resources for You and Your Instrument
We offer these links as a service to members and others; the existence of a link does not necessarily imply any recommendation by the SCVFA.
SCVFA members & friends – please forward suggestions for additional links or feedback on any of the sites listed here to webmaster at scvfa.org.
Well-known and well-respected Kentucky old-time fiddler J.P. Fraley passed away on February 17, 2011 at the age of 87. Here are a couple of links to his playing on YouTube, from a documentary by Shetlands fiddler Aly Bain.
- J.P. Fraley plays his signature tune Wild Rose of the Mountain, accompanied by his wife Annadene Fraley and Shetlands fiddler Aly Bain. J.P. and Aly then talk about Kentucky fiddling.
- J.P. Fraley plays Dusty Miller, accompanied by his wife Annadene.
Also, here’s an obituary/article about J.P. published 1/18/11 in The Independent of Ashland, Kentucky.
Long-time SCVFA member Art Deems, known especially for his “trick” fiddling, passed away on April 16, 2012. Here’s a nice YouTube video from April 2011 showing Art up to a few of those tricks.Allan French’s RailGrass page (see Resources for Musicians).
The CBA’s Calendar (California Bluegrass Association)
The NCBS’s Calendar (Northern California Bluegrass Society)
- California Bluegrass Association (CBA) Newsletter, calendar, and more.
- California State Old Time Fiddler’s Association. The CSOTFA has 14 districts. District 9 (below) includes the SF Bay Area.
- CSOTFA District 9 covers the San Francisco Bay Area. Their monthly jam is held in Castro Valley.
- Fiddling Cricket Music Live acoustic music at local venues.
- IBMA: International Bluegrass Music Association (IBMA) Promoting Bluegrass music worldwide.
- NCBS: Northern California Bluegrass Society An active bluegrass organization based in Mountain View, CA.
- OOTFA: Oregon Old Time Fiddlers Association Heading North? Check them out!
- RBA: Redwood Bluegrass Associates Promotes acoustic music in the Bay Area.
- San Francisco Folk Music Club Has a good listing of music events in the Bay Area, and runs the annual San Francisco Free Folk Festival.
- San Francisco Pipers Club — holds a slow Irish session in Mountain View on Tuesdays. Fiddlers welcome.
- San Francisco Scottish Fiddlers Scottish music jams, concerts, and workshops in the SF Bay area.
- South Bay Folks Runs a regular free open-mike session and maintains a claendar of acoustic music performances in the South Bay.
- SWBA: SouthWest Bluegrass Association Headquartered down south in Torrence, CA.
- WOTFA: Washington Old Time Fiddlers Association Contests, workshops, and campouts in beautiful Washington State.
- Clarion Music Center World music in San Francisco’s Chinatown.
- Don Quixote’s International Music Hall Concert hall & restaurant in Felton.
- Freight & Salvage Coffee House Nonprofit org. in Oakland promoting traditional music throughout the world.
- Make-Out Room Lots of rock, soul, disco etc — and even a little traditional music, in The Mission (San Francisco).
- Mission Pizza Live music Friday and Saturday nights in Fremont, CA.
- Monday-night “South Bay Old Time Jam” Weekly mostly-old-time jam in Palo Alto.
Also bluegrass jam Wednesday nights at the same venue (no website).
- The Plough and Stars Traditional Irish music in San Francisco (Pacific Heights).
- Sam’s BBQ Bluegrass music most Tuesday and Wednesday nights and great food, in San Jose.
- California State Old Time Fiddlers’ Assn. Home Sponsors of California’s official annual old-time fiddle contest.
- Cloverdale Old-Time Fiddle Festival Contest held in Cloverdale, CA every January.
- Festival of American Fiddle Tunes In Port Townsend, WA, always the week that includes July 4. “Is this Heaven? No, it’s Fiddle Tunes.”
- National Oldtime Fiddlers’ Contest and Festival The “Big One” every June in Weiser, ID, the “Fiddling Capital of the World.”
- San Francisco Free Folk Festival (SFFFF) Not to be missed! In San Francisco mid-June.
- Valley of the Moon Annual Scottish Fiddling camp in Boulder Creek, CA.
- Western Open Fiddle Contest “Always the 3rd full week in October” in Red Bluff, CA.
TUNES & LYRICS
- Rouchstock Lyrics Archive of Country & Western words and chords.
- Mudcat Café / Digital Tradition Folk Song Database Search the DT database for words to 6500 songs.
- Folklife The Library of Congress’s online folk music collections, including a special section “California Gold” on Northern California music of the 30’s.
- The National Institutes of Health has lyrics to various songs, especially kid-oriented songs.
- Links to many more kids’ songs, on a classic-car website — songs for learning and fun, and some teaching materials. (Suggested by elementary student Amy.)
- A resource page of links to sites with (mostly) nursery rhymes and information about them. (Suggested by children at Goodwin Community Center.)
- The Session Mostly Celtic fiddle tunes, with ABC notation available.
- Sing Out! Online site of one of the best magazines dedicated to preserving Folk Music.
- American Memory A production of the Library of Congress American Folklife Center. Contains over seventy multimedia collections of digitized documents, photographs, recorded sound, motion pictures, and text, free to the public for educational purposes.
- Hetzler’s Fakebook Old-time MIDIs by the score, some with PDF sheet music too.
- Library of Congress Henry Reed pages Field recordings and some hand-written notations of West Virginia fiddler Henry Reed.
- Old-Time Fiddle tunes A collection of fiddle tunes from old recordings and workshops transcribed by John Lamancusa. Over 370 tunes, most with PDF, MIDI and MP3.
- Old-Time Music Home Page Old-Time Fiddlers Hall of Fame, Old-time resources on the Web.
- Pete Showman’s Tunes Page Sheet music and MIDI files for mostly old-time tunes, particularly those played at the Fandango old-time jam (see above).
- ZEPP Country Music Site Old-time fiddle tune MP3s.
- Ceolas Celtic music on the Internet.
- Hetzler’s Fakebook Lots of Celtic MIDIs.
- Scotchsnap.com Scottish sheet music in a snap.
- Slowplayers.org Sheet music and listings for slow Celtic jams.
- Bluegrass College Online Bluegrass learning resource.
- Bluegrass Unlimited Magazine
- Cybergrass The Internet Bluegrass Magazine.
- The Music Motel Americana Music, Lifestyle Products and Accessories
You can listen to some Internet stations through iTunes.
Planet Bluegrass Click the Bluegrass Radio link for online Bluegrass.
Sugar in the Gourd Online radio. “All old-time, all the time.”
KKUP on FM: Listener-sponsored radio formerly in Cupertino, CA – 91.5 FM Bluegrass, Celtic, local bands, and lots of other good music.
- Ashokan Fiddle & Dance Camp Join Jay Ungar and Molly Mason for their music and dance programs at Ashokan, a rustic camp in New York’s Catskill Mountains.
- Double Stop Fiddle Shop and Music Hall Fiddle shop, performance hall, and regular venue for the Byron Berline Band in Guthrie, OK.
- Fiddle Hangout Online fiddle community and resource.
- Fiddle Hub Learn fiddle online for free, using slow motion video and tablature.
- FIDDLE-L Fiddle players’ discussion list.
- Fiddler Magazine Excellent magazine covering all aspects of fiddling.
- Missouri State Old Time Fiddlers Association Info on old-time fiddling in Missouri.
- BANJO-L Online discussion list for banjo players.
- Banjo Newsletter Online portal to the gold standard of banjo magazines.
- Clawhammer.com Links to several clawhammer banjo sites.
- ezFolk.com – Bluegrass Basic instruction for learning bluegrass banjo, some tabs.
- ezFolk.com – Clawhammer Basic instruction for learning clawhammer banjo, some tabs.
- Phillip Mann’s Banjo Pages Lots of free banjo tablature.
- The Banjo A Short History by Mick Moloney.
- Bluegrass Mandolin Music from the Delnero family.
- Mandolin Cafe Lots of free mandolin tablature and other resources.
- MandoZine Online magazine for mandolin players.
- Play Chords on Mandolin (Zzounds) A set of useful links, recommended by one of our readers.
- ReviewLab’s Guitar Education Resource Guide (guitar history and links)
- Flatpicking Guitar Magazine Online portal for the print magazine for flatpickers.
- FLATPICK-L A discussion list for flatpickers.
- Mike Wright’s flatpick Guitar tablature Tabs plus WAVs and MP3s of flatpick tunes.
RESONATOR GUITAR LINKS
- Brad’s Page of Steel Site dedicated to acoustic and electric lap steel guitars.
- Planet Dobro All things slide guitar.
PERFORMERS – Old-Time and Bluegrass Groups
- Eric & Suzy Thompson Berkeley-based Bluegrass group.
- Crooked Jades Bay Area-based old-time group.
- Hillbillies From Mars Bay Area contra-dance band, still sporadically active.
- Nickel Creek Bluegrass band originally from California.
- The Goat Hill Girls https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Band/The-Goat-Hill-Girls-526270167749022/
- Wildcat Mountain Ramblers https://www.facebook.com/wildcatmountainramblers/
- Sidesaddle & Co. http://www.sidesaddleandco.com/index.php/biography.html
- Blue Summit https://www.bluesummitmusic.com/
PERFORMERS – Fiddlers
- Darol Anger
- Vassar Clements A site with information about and music by the late fiddler.
- Alasdair Fraser
- Bay Area fiddler Brittany Haas, now in New England-based band Crooked Still
- Bay Area cellist Natalie Haas
- Megan Lynch Chowning
- Bruce Molsky
- Mark O’Connor
- The San Francisco Scottish Fiddlers
- Eric & Suzy Thompson
- Joe Weed — performer and recording studio
PERFORMERS – Banjo Players
PERFORMERS – Mandolin Players
PERFORMERS – Resonator/Steel/Dobro Players
We’ve listed well known luthiers and repair shops. Still, we recommend that you ask friends and other musicians for their recommendations and experiences.
- Gryphon Stringed Instruments, Palo Alto
- Heaney Violins, Mountain View
- Kamimoto String Instruments, San Jose
- Santa Cruz Guitar Company
- Steve Joynes, “The Fiddle Guy” — sales and restoration
- Allen Guitars (Colfax, CA)
- C. F. Martin and Company
- Deering Banjo Company
- Gibson Instruments
- Ome Banjos Home Page (Colorado)
- Phoenix Mandolins (Maine)
- Weber (Oregon) mandolins, mandolas, octave mandolins and mandocellos.
- Stelling Banjo Works, Ltd. (Virginia)
- Wildwood Banjos (Bend, Oregon) Traditional openback and bluegrass banjos from California’s north coast.
- AcuTab “Accurate, artist-reviewed banjo tablature.”
- County Sales “World’s largest selection of Bluegrass and old-time music.” CDs, videos, and more!
- Elderly Instruments Wonderful source of new and used instruments, strings, books, etc.
- Gruhn Guitars
- Gryphon Stringed Instruments In Palo Alto, CA.
- Hatfield Music Catalog Banjo supplies, books with banjo tablature.
- Highland Studios Work with Joe Weed, one of the country’s best independent producer/engineer/musicians!
- Homespun Tapes Great source for instructional books, tapes, CD’s and videos.
- Jack and Ruby’s Guitar Shop Rare and unique acoustic guitars and mandolins
- Janet Davis Music Good discounts on strings
- Kamimoto String Instruments San Jose, CA — great supporters of the SCVFA!
- Mandolin Brothers
- Mandolin World Headquarters…and Guitars!
- Stringed Instrument Division New and used instruments of various sorts.
- Stewart-MacDonald Supplies for building and repairing stringed insturments.